Background

Monday, January 10, 2011

One Kid, Two Kids, Three???


I've always known that I wanted at least two kids.  I never really thought about how far to space them out until I had my first.  You can read about all the benefits of each in magazines and other moms will give you insight of the hardships.  Our girls are almost 2 years (-6 days) apart.  I love how Reagan adores her little sister and how much Madison continuously watches her run around the house.  However, they are both very jealous if they feel that one gets more attention or love and will whine for my affection.  The hardest part is that they both need a lot of help doing almost everything from playing to eating.  Of course, Madison needs the most but Reagan needs help getting started on a project like play-doh.  They both need me for the basics: food, bathroom help, sippy cups, cleaning up, and baths.  Then on top of of that Madison needs for me to hold her after not seeing her all day while Reagan needs me to play with her.  This is where it is tricky.  It would be great if they both were hungry at the same time.  Of course that never happens.  So, while one child is starving for food expecting me to cook the other either wants me to get out her markers or hold her.

My mom told me that when your children reach 3 life gets easier.  I believe this to be true as it is nice when I have alone time with Reagan.  I love being able to take her places without needing a diaper bag.  I end up taking her on outings much more than Madison since it is easier and we are able to interact.  I hate that I don't get more of this one-on-one time with Madison.  There are things that I did with Reagan simply because she was one child and not with Madison because there are two.  (walks to the park, play time in the pool, play-dates, travel)

HOWEVER!!! None of these things that my children are missing out on because it is too hard for me with the both of them compares to the life they have with each other.  Having a sister to share your life with is the best gift, play-date, field trip, exploration partner, and friend that I could give my kids.  

It's so fun to watch how Reagan sets up a stage just for her sister to come to her show and watch her perform.  And if Madison gets up and walks off, Reagan definitely gets upset.  Her sister's opinion matters even at 3.  I often joke with Reagan when she gets upset with Madison that we should just give her to someone who doesn't have a sister because they would love her more.  Not once, has she agreed.  No matter how upset she gets when Madison tears down her almost completed puzzle or rips her favorite picture, she still loves her dearly and would never give her up!



No comments:

Post a Comment