Background

Friday, February 25, 2011

NASCAR NCCAT


A couple of weeks ago my friend at work and I went to NCCAT (North Carolina Center of Advancements for Teachers).  We chose the NASCAR seminar.  It was awesome!   We experienced how to work a pit stop at Pit Crew U.  We actually wore jump suits and I was the jack woman and Leigh Ellen the rear tire carrier.  It was so funny and hard.  Our best time 1.08.22 minutes.  In NASCAR they average 14 seconds and some can do it as little as 12.  Amazing, right?


We also went to the Charlotte Motor Speedway and toured the track which includes a two lap ride around it in the minivan, :).  Yes, not as exciting as a car but still fun.  We explored the other tracks as well and learned a lot of history and fun facts.  Then we ate at the Speedway Club which was breathtaking.  I couldn't imagine how amazing it would be to watch a race from up there.  The view and atmosphere is awesome.  After lunch, we went to the Hall of Fame in Charlotte.  Leigh Ellen and I spent three hours touring around.  They did an incredible job putting it all together.  It is educational but also fun and hands on.  We took pictures waving flags and walking up track banks.  Who knew that each track is made up of a different material with different degree banking which all plays into the success of a team.

We wrapped up the week going to Victory Junction Gang and even were accompanied by Deborah, who has been the longest free agent sports writer for NASCAR.  She really gave us inside knowledge on the sport and how it is changing from the old guys to the new ones.  
We also learned how the media coverage has changed due to all the technology.  NCCAT gave us one of her books which I got signed that is literally a scrapbook of NASCAR.  It's a fun book to look through and discover what a great family sport it it.


Leigh Ellen and I of course had to finish our great week with a little shopping at IKEA.  I mean it was only five miles from us so we just had to before coming home.  


We had a great week together and my first week ever away from my girls.  I definitely needed the break, but was super eager to see them and kiss them when I got home!





No comments:

Post a Comment